Pro bicylists are required to wear helmets.
Digital Vision./Digital Vision/Getty Images
While 21 states and the District of Columbia require minors to wear helmets when riding a bike, there are no state laws requiring adults to do so. Unfortunately, the latest traffic safety facts published by the U.S. Department of Transportation reveal an astounding 45,000 bicyclists were injured in traffic with 818 reported fatalities in just one year. One way to protect yourself from injury is to wear a helmet whenever you ride, whether the law requires you to do so or not.
To Protect Your Head and Brain
The number one reason to wear a helmet when riding your bike is to protect your head and brain. The U.S. Department of Transportation points out that, over the course of the past few years, only 17 percent of fatally-injured bicyclists were actually wearing helmets. They go on to say that if a bicyclist wears a helmet, he reduces his chance of head injury by 50 percent and his chance of head, face and neck injury by 33 percent.
To Set an Example for Children
A parent's role is not only to keep little ones safe, but also to guide them in learning how to make wise choices. The best way to do this is to lead by example, as children are more inclined to mimic what their parents are doing, not just obey verbal commands. If your kids see you wearing a helmet every time you climb on your bike, they're more likely to follow suit without giving it another thought.
To Show Off Your Style
Your bicycle helmet gives you a chance to show off your style. While you can certainly select a helmet made in a solid color, you can also purchase one with a design. Animal lovers may prefer a helmet with adorable kittens on it. Scientists may opt for a helmet with the planets displayed from front to back. There are also helmets with flowers, the American flag, lightning bolts and sports teams on them.
As Protection From the Weather
If your bicycle is your main mode of transportation, you may have to ride to and from work even if the weather isn't ideal. In this case, your helmet offers protection from the elements. Your hair will stay nice and dry in the rain and warm and toasty in the snow. The helmet also protects cyclists from the sun's harmful UV rays during the summer.
To Make Yourself Seen
Although cars will be able to see you clearly on the road during the day, you'll be almost invisible to them at night. Some helmets come with built-in reflectors that will help oncoming cars spot you from a distance. Others are designed to allow you to mount a headlamp on them. If you can't find a helmet like this, you can always purchase reflector tape and run a few strips across your traditional helmet.